Friday, June 15, 2012

Good 'Ol Days


I got into gaming back in 1979 with Dungeons and Dragons and those were some great times.  These days, it seems that wargames and roleplaying games have become to complex and companies are producing and selling every tiny gaming aid that they can think of, just to make money.  What happened to the good 'ol days when friends could sit around the table with a set of dice, some paper, pencils and about a dozen miniatures between them and enjoy hours of fun and adventure?  Those were great times! AND mom and dad always knew where you were.  There was no need for cell phones and text messages to keep tabs on your kid.  Just call Joey's house and check with his mom to make sure you were safe.

Well, I was at a local book resale shop, cashing in some stuff I no longer had any use for and what did I find?  The Dungeons and Dragons Basic Set from 1980!  The box was a little worn, but the rulebook and module was in great shape.  Immediately, all those memories flooded back into my head and when I regained consciousness, I was at the check out counter and the cashier was ringing up my purchase.

As I got home and started reading the old book, I thought how easy it was to play this game and I started rolling up characters.  My daughters saw what I was doing and and asked me about it, so I shared some of those memories with them and now they want to give it a try.  We're going to sit down and roll up some characters this weekend and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment